This quick and easy to prepare recipe will please the most discerning palates.
Prep time: 15 min. Serves 4-6.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 cup finely chopped napa cabbage kimchi, plus additional for garnish
- 2 (14-ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 pounds mussels, rinsed and scrubbed*
- 1/4 cup kimchi juice
- 2 bunches of enoki mushrooms
- 500 grams of pancetta
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (about 2 green onions) as garnish
*For a vegetarian option, substitute mussels for 1 pkg firm tofu
In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add the curry paste and kimchi and cook, stirring, for another minute. Stir in the coconut milk and wine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Add in pancetta, enoki mushrooms, kimchi juice and simmer for a couple more minutes. Put the mussels in the pot and cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the mussels open.
Remove the pot from the heat before serving with the cover off. Top with the green onions and additional kimchi and serve in deep bowls with baguette or rice.
Modified with permission from The Kimchi Cookbook: 60 Traditional and Modern Ways to Make and Eat Kimchi by Lauryn Chun, copyright 2012.