Preparation time: 1 hour
· 1 cup Cabbage Patch Kimchi, finely diced
· 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
· 1 tsp avocado oil or duck fat
· 3 Tbsp flour
· Salt to taste
· Pepper to taste
· 1 cup whipping cream
· 3 cups 2% milk
· 2 cups (approx 350 g) packed, grated Pete’s Aged Cheddar, divided
· 2 cups (approx 350g) packed, grated gruyere cheese, divided
· 1/4 cup cilantro, stem removed and chopped (optional)
· 280 g package Brome Lake Ducks, Duck Legs Confit, bone and skin removed and chopped
· 1/2 cup panko style breadcrumbs
· 500 g Rummo Orecchiette Pasta, cooked in salted water, drained and rinsed
· Cilantro leaves
· Sliced green onion
· Sliced red finger chili pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a heavy bottomed sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes until beginning to soften. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Add kimchi and cook stirring until most of the moisture has cooked out and it starts to stick to the pan.
4. Sprinkle in flour and cook stirring 2-3 minutes until it begins to brown and smells “baked”.
5. Slowly add in milk, whisking gently until full incorporated. Add in cream, whisking gently, allow to come almost to a boil.
6. Remove from heat. Stir in 1.5 cups each of gruyere and aged cheddar. Fold in duck and cilantro. Stir in pasta and test for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
7. Pour mixture into 9x13” or similar dish (can use a cast iron skillet). Top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake until golden, about 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy.